Re: D-Link DGE-550SX (dl2k): WARNING: at net/sched/sch_generic.c:219 dev_watchdog+0xda/0x12d()

Roger Heflin wrote:
Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
Hello,
we just upgraded our old router (Fedora Core 5 on AlphaServer 800,
kernel 2.6.17)
to new Fedora 10/2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686 kernel on Core2Duo i686.

PCI-X Fiber 1000BASE-SX D-Link Network Adapter DGE-550SX, which worked
fine in
old Alphaserver, freeze on new machine few minutes after start (What
is interesting,
in one case after it sent exactly 8192 packets, an other cases are
some multiples
of 8 too) and stop transmit packets. Only workaround (but for a while)
is rmmod
+ modprobe its dl2k driver.

I would go post this to the kernel list, is is definitely some sort of
kernel interaction. From what I understand the sch_generic.c error means
that the networking driver has an issue with its hardware.

I don't believe there is a way to misconfigure things and get this.

On other network chipsets others have attempted to work around this sort
of issue by changing how the network chipset works (turning on/off tcp
offload, or other internal network chipset capabilities, and/or turning
off pause-things can be adjusted with ethtool). If you get the correct
feature turned off that is required to trigger the bug then it may work.

Keep in mind though that typically when you have a 32bit/33Mhz network
card it appears that the speed is limited to around 50MB/second each
way, even though the PCI bandwidth should be high enough to do
more.....I don't know why this is, but I have seen it with several
different ethernet chipsets (tg3/e1000).

Hello Roger,

I sent this issue to LKML too (by that time without feedback).
About some tunning - we have only little time window every dat for it,
it is really problem. For now we will try some other optical fiber card.

And regarding to PCI card bandwidth - DGE-550SX is gigabit card, but
we use it for our internet connections, which is limited to approx.
50 Mb/sec by ISP, then I think there should be no bottleneck in LAN
card. Or some crappy machines within our LAN could be able overload
it?
But this same card in much slower Alphaserver work fine...

Franta Hanzlik