LVM and bad disk...

All,

I've never used LVM under Fedora. I did use something similar under AIX probably 10-15 years ago. I've been using linux for since slackware (on floppies) and kernel version 0.99.4, but I've always used the old standard of partitioning hard drives and creating filesystems on those partitions (even terabyte raids :-). Now I'm considering using LVM for a fedora 10 system I'm setting up, but have one question. Under the "old way" if a disk dies, you lose the files on that disk that weren't backed up, but only that disk. Under LVM, if I have a logical volume that is made up of more than one physical volume, what happens if one of the physical volumes goes bad? Is the logical volume toast? Do you have to recreate the whole logical volume from scratch?

Thanks in advance for any help!

John