Re: Firefox Crashing/Shutsdown

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Jim <mickeyboa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dave Burns wrote:

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Jim <mickeyboa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mickeyboa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

   FC8/kde

   Firefox-2.0.0.18-1.fc8 is crashing when it goes to another
   website, if I even try to check my Yahoo email on a http or https
   website.

   I removed and reinstall Firefox and I also removed .mozilla on
   user directory and didn't make any difference, it still
   crashes/shutdown, it has no affect on KDE. I can restart Firefox
   and recover.

More description needed. Anything interesting in /var/log/messages? Output any error message? GUI window froze or closed? Give us a hint.

Dave
This is the part of output from /var/log/messages, when Firefox crashed.

Nov 24 17:50:02 Ferrells gconfd (lchris-2823): starting (version 2.20.1), pid 2823 user 'lchris'
Nov 24 17:50:03 Ferrells gconfd (lchris-2825): Failed to get lock for daemon, exiting: Failed to lock '/tmp/gconfd-lchris/lock/ior': probably another process has the lock, or your operating system has NFS file locking misconfigured (Resource temporarily unavailable)

Not clear. You're using KDE or Gnome? I thought gconfd was a gnome thing, looks like this is from when you logged in. Or else for some reason firefox is causing gconfd to start again, which would sort of explain the error message, if not the real cause.

GUI window froze or closed?

Are you using any NFS mounts? I've had similar logs before, when trying to use an NFS mounted home directory. Something about my config sets gnome and NFS for murder.
Dave