Re: F-10 installs -

On Mon November 24 2008 15:09:36 Bob Goodwin wrote:
> In the near future I intend to replace Fedora 9 with 10.  My bandwidth
> allotment is limited by the satellite provider I use so I have been
> installing the "Live CD" version and adding to that with yum. I rarely
> use the Gnome desktop beyond the initial install, replacing that with
> XFCE which works best for me.  However it requires a lot of initial
> configuration to create what I want.  That can take a week or more to
> get everything "just right."
>
> But then I have a second computer to deal with, similar to this one
> which will also need the same configuration.  I can easily transfer
> files between them but it's still a lot of work and takes nearly as much
> time as the first one.  There's also a third ...
>
> It seems I must be doing something wrong?  Can anyone suggest the
> optimum approach?  I ideally I should be able to simply copy directories
> between boxes/users it seems.
>
> Thanks.

The optimum approach I use is livecd-tools, i.e you build your own desktop the
way you want it at install time with what you want in it. (rpmfusion,some
other random rpms)
Start with the xfce spin kickstart file for ideas making sure to remove all
the unneeded junk (junk=bandwidth=cash) and work your way from there, it
becomes simple after a few goes and you don't have to keep downloading the
same rpms to try again using the cache option. yes it will take about a week
to tweak to your hearts content but when you get it just right, come F11 or
F<some other number> time your laughing just roll-up a new spin. I think the
spin folks even have their own list for more specific help if needed.

...dex