self-signing with gnutls tools?

I'm looking at becoming my own self-signed certificate authority for setting up SSL access to dovecot, and all the examples of self-signing I can find use the openssl tools (which fedora no longer ships). Anyone have any good pointers to doing the same kind of self-signing setup with whatever is the equivalent gnutls tools?

I think I understand enough to know I need to first create my own authority, then use that to create the cert that dovecot will use, then get the authority installed with the root certs on any mail client machine I want to connect from.

It is just the myriad of jargon laden details that elude me :-).