Re: How to make a Novatel Wireless EVDO Broadband Modem work using Network Manager

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 21:09:45 -0600
Dennis Gilmore <dennis@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If the way i suggested is not working then please file a bug.  the way i
> described works perfectly well for my GSM modem  i have a "Dell Computer Corp.
> Wireless 5500 Mobile Broadband (3G HSDPA) Minicard Modem"  as is said
> initially if its not detected as a mobile broadband card then its a bug hal-
> info is the correct component to file it against.  the hal quirk should live in
> /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-modem.fdi  which tells NM that
> its a mobile broadband device.

I have been doing some further experimentation.  It appears that my method
works more often than your method, but neither one works consistently.

The file /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-modem.fdi contains
what appears to be data pertaining to this modem, as follows:

 <!-- Novatel -->
      <match key="@info.parent:usb.vendor_id" int="0x1410">
        <!-- Merlin XS620/S640,S620,EX720,S720,EV620 CDMA/EV-DO,ES620/Merlin ES7
20/Ovation U720,ES620 SM Bus,U727 -->
        <match key="@info.parent:usb.product_id"
int_outof="0x1100;0x1110;0x1410;0x1120;0x1130;0x2100;0x2110;0x2130;0x4100;0x5010">

0x1410 is the vendor id and 0x5010 is the product id of this modem so it
appears that this modem is accounted for in that file, though I'm not entirely
sure what it should look like so I don't know if that constitutes "full
support" or not.

However, simply booting up without using the modprobe commands in my article
doesn't create the /dev/ttyUSB0 device at any time.

In addition, I'm now discovering, the modprobe commands don't create
the /dev/ttyUSB0 device consistently either.  In fact, while I had this working
great earlier today and all of yesterday, now I can't get it to create
the /dev/ttyUSB0 device at all.

I wonder what's going on here.  I have a different laptop with Fedora 10-beta
on it which I should perhaps try and see if there's any change.  At the moment,
the F9 laptop doesn't see the modem any more no matter what I try.

I'll try this modem on my F10 laptop in a short while and see what happens.