Re: Grub can't mount drive

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Alex Makhlin <makhlina@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am running a dual boot system with Vista Ultimate and Fedora 9 / KDE 4 and
> last nigh I booted into Vista and deleted one of my NTFS partitions. This
> screwed up grub and I was only able to boot into grub command mode. I then
> booted my computer with a Fedora rescue disk and typed command grub-install
> /dev/sda. After reboot I was able to get the grub menue but when I choose to
> boot Fedora I get an error that it can't mount the drive. I am able to
> choose "other" and boot into my Vista os but not Fedora. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Alex
>
> --

I suspect that when you deleted the NTFS partition, it could have
changed the partition numbers on the following partitions.  That would
break the settings in grub.conf because the boot partition and the
root partition are specified there.  If you post the grub.conf
settings for that kernel and the output from /sbin/fdisk, we might be
able to tell you if that's right.

I wonder if you had the bad luck to delete a partition that was your
previous boot partition.  There's no rule that the boot manager has to
be installed on the master boot record. It could have been installed
in that ntfs drive.

The grub.conf file can be set in a variety of ways.  The root can be
described with something like (hd0,0) or by a uuid, and in the kernel
line, you also can use a disk label, a UUID, or a device name like
/dev/sda2.  If there were just one standard way, I could show you
exactly what to do.  But they have made this a bit tough to bug-shoot.

For what it is worth, I've never had success with the grub-install
approach you are taking.  It generally does work for me to set use the
root() and setup() commands inside grub.

Good luck

If you do some googling, you will find there are plenty of sites with
advice on how to reinstall grub.  If you get inside grub, you can get
a bit more information by setting the root.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science