Re: New FU9 x86-32 install on spare box, how to switch to kde?

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 05:45:31AM -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> --- On Sun, 11/23/08, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >2. I can't run yum cuz its already busy.  What's
> >with that?
>
> as root su -
> # rm /var/rum/yum.pid -f
>
> then yum will be free to run as you like.

That's usually not a good idea.  The lock is probably being held by a
temporary PackageKit process, and you should simply wait for it to
complete.  If you can't stand to wait, find the PackageKit process and
kill it.  Removing the resources yum uses to tell if there's a lock
going is counterproductive since you'll probably get a different (and
more head-scratching) error when you try to run a second copy.

$ ps axw | grep '\(pk\|PackageKit\)'

You'll probably need to be root to kill any back-side PackageKit stuff
if it's running.  Again, it might be that a little patience will go a
long way.  Remember you can tune PackageKit's timing using the System
/ Preferences / System / Software Updates tool.