drive failure

Greetings;

I had my boot drive, a 500Gb Maxtor, apparently suffer a head crash sometime
last week.  The errors made me run badblocks on it, with 121 being reported.

This drive, although the bootable flag has been removed from the mbr, prevents
this machine from getting past a single GRUB printed on the screen at reboot
when its drive card and it are installed and connected.

This is regardless of the boot device chosen in the bios menu.  Mobo is an
ASUS M2N-SLI deluxe.  Currently, pata modules loaded are:

[root@coyote ~]# lsmod |grep pata
pata_sil680             9925  0
pata_jmicron            7105  0
pata_amd               13765  0
pata_acpi               8001  0
libata                132065  7
pata_sil680,ahci,pata_jmicron,pata_amd,pata_acpi,sata_nv,ata_generic

I have some data on it that I would like to try and recover, and at one point
a few days ago, during a previous install that failed, did get it to read
most of /etc.  But now, no boot.

So I disconnected the data cable and this is now a normal 32 bit F8 boot.

During a boot from the FU8 dvd, this drive enumerates itself as /dev/sda which
I don't understand because its interface is on a jmicron pci pata card, not
on the motherboard.

During this same 'rescue' boot, I did a chroot /mnt/sysimage from the shell it
gave me, then tried to fdisk /dev/sda.  No /dev/sda device found!  Do an
ls /dev, and its empty!  Something is broken in the rescue mode folks.

So, now I'm rebooted to FU8, August 2008 respin, and all uptodate except for
the bluetooth stuff I don't have any of, but can't remove due to
dependencies.

After reboot, I connect the data cable, not a good idea, but at this point,
what else can I do.  No response in the log from hal, and /dev/sdd, sdd1,
sdd2, sdd3 are not created, so again I cannot even run fdisk against it.

The current as booted /dev/sd*:
[root@coyote ~]# ls -l /dev/sd*
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8,  0 2008-11-22 08:11 /dev/sda
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8,  1 2008-11-22 08:12 /dev/sda1
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8,  2 2008-11-22 08:11 /dev/sda2
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8,  3 2008-11-22 08:12 /dev/sda3
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 16 2008-11-22 08:11 /dev/sdb
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 17 2008-11-22 08:12 /dev/sdb1
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 32 2008-11-22 08:11 /dev/sdc
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 33 2008-11-22 08:11 /dev/sdc1
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 34 2008-11-22 08:11 /dev/sdc2
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 35 2008-11-22 08:11 /dev/sdc3

It should I believe now show up as sdd.

Do I dare run a makedev on it?  It would appear that 8,48, 8,49, 8,50 and 8,51
should be for /dev/sdd, sdd1, sdd2, and sdd3.

I would much rather it would discover it and set it up the normal way.  How
can I trigger whatever does this to scan for a new drive, connected since the
bootup?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene