Re: Help with email issues

Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I'm hoping someone can help me with some strange email issues.
>

> I can send emails to most anyone except for the postgresql email lists. I've
> pinged 'em several times - even the list admins but I dont think my mails are
> getting through.
>
> At one point I tried to send an email to the list and I got this message back:
>

> =====================================
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at outboundproxy6.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>
> <pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> 200.46.204.86 does not like recipient.
> Remote host said: 504 5.5.2 <outboundproxy6>: Helo command rejected: need
> fully-qualified hostname
> Giving up on 200.46.204.86.
>
> --- Enclosed are the original headers of the message.

In this particular case it seems that mail.postgresql.org
(200.46.204.86) is unhappy with the SMTP helo issued by
outboundproxy6.bluehost.com (74.220.195.74).  If I read the message
correctly outboundproxy6 is sending "helo outboundproxy6" and not "helo
outboundproxy6.bluehost.com".  And mail.postgresql.org is configured to
reject.

Look at this....

[egreshko@misty ~]$ telnet 200.46.204.86 25
Trying 200.46.204.86...
Connected to mail.postgresql.org (200.46.204.86).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.postgresql.org ESMTP Postfix
helo misty
250 mail.postgresql.org
mail from:<e.greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
250 2.1.0 Ok
rcpt to:<pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
504 5.5.2 <misty>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname
rset
250 2.0.0 Ok
helo misty.greshko.com
250 mail.postgresql.org
mail from:<e.greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
250 2.1.0 Ok
rcpt to:<pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
450 4.7.1 <pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>: Recipient address rejected:
Greylisted for 5 minutes
rset
250 2.0.0 Ok
quit
221 2.0.0 Bye
Connection closed by foreign host.

So, the problem would be with the configuration on

--
First law of debate: Never argue with a fool. People might not know the
difference.