Re: Mount usb devices

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 03:24:25PM -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
> Dave Feustel wrote:
>> I have found no info on how to mount usb disk drives on Fedora.
>>
>> How is it done?
>>
>> Can F9 mount *BSD file systems?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Uh, you should bve able to just plug it in and fedora will automount it
> if it recognizes the file system.

I see no messages from f9 when I plug the drive in.

> Or, you can look at dmesg when you plug the drive in, find the device
> assignment and manually mount it.

This works, but I do not recognize the device name in the dmesg output.
Also, dmesg reports that it cannout mount the device because ufs is
compiled read-only, not read-write.

> What filesystem does your BSD system use on that drive?  There are few
> filesystems that linux can't mount, although some might require more
> setup than others.

ffs2 is close to the name used by openbsd.

> In this case, google is your friend, I'm sure you can google mounting
> USB drives and Fedora and get a good howto.

Actually, I found nothing at all useful regarding mounting usb devices.
Also, I found nothing at all useful using either man or apropos on
fedora. I found no useful info in the fedora f9 bible on mounting usb or
what usb device names look like. In this regard, OpenBSD has much better
documentation on USB. Maybe there is a hook for usb in fedora I just
don't know about yet. I also tried a google search for usb info on
the fedora site. I'm just having no luck with this today.