Re: More strange F9 dependencies

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 18:43:17 +0000 (UTC), Beartooth wrote:

> 	I have no PDA, nor expect ever to, much less hardware to connect
> it to a PC.
>
> 	When I was working, and literally running my life on rails, its
> ancestors, then called organizers, were fine things; I had a whole series
> of them.
>
> 	Those who want or need them are welcome to them; strength to
> their arms. Theirs, not mine.  To an old retired fart without a schedule,
> a PDA or even a fancy phone is a dispensable expense, and thus cruft at
> best, if not a security liability. So I tried to cut.
>
> [root@Hbsk2 ~]# yum remove bluez-*
> 	[....]
> Dependencies Resolved

>  Package                   Arch      Version             Repository
> Size
> Removing:
>  bluez-libs                i386      3.36-1.fc9          installed
> 126 k
>  bluez-utils-cups          i386      3.36-1.fc9
> installed         40 k
> Removing for dependencies:
>  gnome-user-share          i386      0.31-1.fc9          installed
> 219 k
>  gvfs                      i386      0.2.5-1.fc9         installed
> 3.5 M
>  gvfs-fuse                 i386      0.2.5-1.fc9
> installed         25 k
>  libwiimote                i386      0.4-6.fc9
> installed         46 k
>  nautilus                  i386      2.22.5.1-1.fc9
> installed         15 M
>  obex-data-server          i386      1:0.3.4-1.fc9       installed
> 145 k
>  xorg-x11-drivers          i386      7.3-4.fc9
> installed         0.0
>  xorg-x11-drv-wiimote      i386      0.0.1-1.fc9
> installed         12 k
>
> Transaction Summary
> Install      0 Package(s)
> Update       0 Package(s)
> Remove      10 Package(s)
>
> Is this ok [y/N]: n
> Exiting on user Command
>
> 	Some of those dependencies certainly make sense, and others look
> likely to. Some of them. I grant that.
>
> 	Some make mud seem clear. I don't understand, despite googling,
> what gvfs is or does. I know only that it too threatened to take a long
> list of indispensable apps with it if removed -- and that the gnome
> system monitor always shows some half dozen of its creatures, sleeping.
>
> 	But what of nautilus? It would be fine for bluez to depend on it;
> but why should it depend on bluez?? Is someone going to tell me that
> pango uses bluez, with or without hardware? And then sneer down his nose
> that I'm welcome to write new code??

Run: repoquery --whatrequires libbluetooth.so.2

That shows all packages with a _direct_ dependency on that library.
Nautilus depends on something that depends on bluez-libs.

> 	What ever became of linux being tailorable??

A Linux base distribution is tailored already.
Not each and every feature can be toggled on/off at run-time or
install-time. Some features build the core of the distribution.