core 9 upgrade with gnome has no icons or mouse response

One of my laptops was recently upgraded to core 9 from core 8. The gnome desktop shows no icons and does not respond to left or right mouse clicks. The menu bar works just fine.

And since this fixed my last difficulty, I am NOT running NetworkManager.

Any suggestions?

Phillip