Re: Looking for a docbook example.

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 21:38 -0500, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> Is there such a thing as a nontrivial book that is available for free
> online that also has the docbook src available? I'd like to learn docbook
> and I think having an available example would be a good starting point.

AFAIK the Fedora documentation source is in Docbook format. I don't know
if that's sufficiently non-trivial.

> Also, I'm not clear on what the advantage of using docbook is over just
> using LaTeX.

Depends on your needs. There's a good deal of overlap, in that they are
both oriented to marking up documents according to high-level elements
(paragraphs, lists, headers, figures etc.) and leaving the final
appearance to a compiler. LaTeX (and TeX) are focussed on high-quality
printing. Docbook is an SGML style that allows variant versions of
documents for different output media (e.g. printed versus Web page).
Both are cross-platform. IMHO in Linux LaTeX is more mature and probably
better supported by editing tools, while SGML editing can still be a bit
painful. Of course you can also generate LaTeX output from a Docbook
source file.

poc