how about untar

tar cvf file.tar -T selectfile.txt

inside the selectfile.txt

eg:

/var/www/html/version3/abc.html
/var/www/html/version3/image/abc.jpg
/var/www/html/version3/cgi-bin/abc.cgi

how can I untar it

as all inside in /var/www/html instead of /var/www/html/version3

Thank you again

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
chloe K wrote:
> Hi
> I have number of selected files to backup and it is also in different
> folders
> How can I make it easy?
>
> eg:
> tar zcvf select-file.tar.gz from selected file or tar zcvf
> select-file.tar.gz (from selected files in file.txt)?
>
> Thank you for your help

Check out the -T or --files-from= option.
Something like: (Double check the syntax!)

tar zcv -T file.txt -f elect-file.tar.gz

You will probable find the tar info file more helpful then the tar
man page.

Mikkel

All new Yahoo! Mail - Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane.