Re: Build 64-bit kernel on 32-bit system

Gordon Messmer wrote:
john wendel wrote:

After reading some of the 32bit vs 64bit thread(s), I thought I'd build a 64bit kernel on my 32bit F8 box. Got the latest kernel source and stable patch from kernel.org and tried running make menuconfig. Much to my surprise, there isn't a 32 vs 64 bit toggle in the kernel config. Google confused me, but did tell me I require a 64bit toolchain. This seems bogus, since the kernel is self contained. I think it should be enough just to set the proper gcc options.

Even if you built a 64 bit kernel, the benefits of require 64 bit applications as well. Just install the 64 bit distribution.

Yes, I'll do a 64bit F10. Just wanted to experiment, and maybe learn a little something while I'm waiting for F10.

Regards,

John