Thunderbird cannot open attachments with accented filenames

Dear All,

Sometimes, I receive e-mails with attachments whose names contain
accented characters. When I try to open them, for instance, with
OpenOffice, I get an error message telling me that the file does not
exist. The error message indicates a filename with very strange
characters where the accented characters should be. Then, I have to
save the file first and then open it. Something similar occurs with
Firefox, when trying to open files with accented characters in their
names. Is there some solution for this problem? My e-mail client is
Thunderbird, and I am running F9.

Thanks in advance,

Paul