Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 57, Issue 47 Dependency Champion

Message: 11
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 15:21:16 +0100
From: Henk Breimer <acbk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: dependency champion?
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:00:02 +0100
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 15:03:20 +0100, Henk Breimer wrote:
>
> > [net@pietro ~]$ yum remove libthai
>
> > Remove 266 Package(s) > > > > Is this ok [y/N]: > > no, of course.
> > Remaining question: is this the way 'requires' should be used?

> --
I fully understand what caused this.

My next question would be : "what would happen if such a helper program
for every small lanquage were included in the same way?"

A better solution is needed for this kind of things.

Henk

*Hi All,

Having been bitten several times by Yum's ideas of "what depends on what", I agree with Henk.  If I have 2 (as far as I can see & understand) independent, stand-aloneable programs eg Cups & Firefox, it ought to be possible for me to remove either without automatically taking out the other - no, I've never even thought of the work that must go into something like that!!!!

Isn't it possible to define some sort of "connector" between user & helper programs, at a different level than say between elements which MUST be present to function??  The other day, I went to yumex to see what was waiting for update... amongst them was bluez (which I thought I'd removed back at installation time); in the thought "don't use it, don't need it, bin it", I cleared the tick on the bluez installed line, clicked process & was rewarded by a suggestion to take out about 90% of my system (again)!  I cannot really imagine that "everything" DEPENDS on bluez to function!

OK,  I'll go downtown & get me soapbox set up on the corner!  ;-))

Cheers

Dave

PS Sorry if this comes out in overdone Bold face - I haven't found out what (un)causes some of the messages in the digests to be greyed out......
**
*