Re: ASUS M3A78-EM -

Seann Clark wrote:
Bob Goodwin wrote:

I see that Newegg has a sale on ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard.

I had a failure in a back-up computer last month and have been looking for a cheap replacement board. This board has on-board video which I would like to use. I have not been able to determine if it has dedicated video memory or if it shares the main memory somehow and if that will cause problems?

I guess what I want to know is does anyone have experience with this board? I would not install Windows, only Fedora Linux, probably F-9.

Thanks.

Bob

Just a quick thought, this board supports Crossfire, which shares memory and GPU between ATI cards, so it most likely has dedicated memory. (http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=639&l4=0&model=2252&modelmenu=1)

Since it is onboard, and ATI, ATI usually has good support in Linux (I have a DFBS-D board with ATI onboard with 8 meg memory and it runs great on F9) and doesn't show much of a driver problem. I use my linux boxes as servers more than desktop/gaming because I have some rather stupid stuff I run on the Windows systems that I have a hard time migrating off of.

~Seann
That's encouraging, at least there's hope it may work.

Thanks.

Bob