Re: Document Scanners that work with F9

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 18:35:02 -0500
Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> www.sane-project.org has a convenient list of compatible scanners.

Virtually all of which are for hardware that is no longer made,
but you might find on e-bay :-(.

I keep looking for a scanner that goes on the network and will
deposit scanned documents directly in a network share so it
can be totally OS independent, but I haven't found any such
beast.

The commercial (but reasonably priced) vuescan software
(from http://www.hamrick.com/) supports a much wider variety
of actually available hardware, but only operates as a GUI,
and I really like the ability to script things with the
sane command line tools, so I haven't actually tried vuescan
(but may someday get desperate enough to use the X11 XTEST
extension to turn the vuescan GUI into a command line tool :-).