Re: acer aspire one - wireless ethernet

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 14:46:49 -0800
Aldo Foot <lunixer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Someone had a similar problem with file transfers and mentions changing the
> size of the MTU. It indicates an MTU of 1400 for Belkin works ok. Take
> it with a grain of salt.

You may be on to something here.

The router settings seem to apply to pppoe connections only.  My ISP uses a
standard dhcp server to give me my address -- no pppoe involved.  Plus my
problem isn't with communicating with external stuff.  Just the opposite, in
fact.

However, I did some experimenting by setting the mtu in the Network Manager
"edit connections" box.  It started out as "automatic", which seemed to be 1500.
I changed that to 1400 and got about twice as much data transferred with my scp
command as I ever managed before before the router locked up.

I then changed it to 1350 and it locked up after transferring about 25% of what
I could transfer with the default 1500 setting.

So... this suggests that if I can just find the correct magical mtu setting, I
might be in business.

Which leads to the question:  How can I find out what the proper mtu setting
might be?

It's interesting that the other Intel laptop works fine using the default 1500
setting.