Re: Which one is better Ubuntu Or Fedora 9

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 11:48 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

> >> reasons. Ubuntu or Fedora

> >> tool for the job.
> >>>
> >> The job is sir to have the best Linux environment. So which
> >> is better,
> >> Fedora OR Ubuntu?
> >>
> >> --
> >
> > Great Question :)
> > Sorry to nose in on this question.  But how about BOTH!
> > Fedora for getting in recent/latest packages ie. kernel, gcc, glibc, ..., etc.
> > Ubuntu LTS(Long Term Support), very useful help pages throughout the net(little more than Fedora), more support other than LTS, ..., etc.,
> > cutomized versions(Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu, ..., Ubuntu Christian Edition, Ubuntu Muslim Edition, ...)
> >
> > Which is better Ford or Chevy?  Wait there's also Dodge, Toyota, ..., great to have choices.  Linux is like this also.  I happen to agree with
> > Mikkel on this one :)
>
> While having choices is nice, if you are going to make the inevitable
> internet car analogy, if one of the companies (Linux distros in general)
> only has about 1% of the total market to begin with, would you still
> think it was a good idea to fragment that into a bazillion models that
> can't be supported with interchangeable parts?  You aren't talking Ford
> and Chevy here - it's more like DeLorian and Tesla.
>

> --
>    Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx

In that sense, Linux is like GM.
They have one company, with subsideries that make cars for a range of
folks.  Fedora would be a Corvette, Ubuntu (no offense) like a
Chevrolet.  The Ubuntu versions would be the Impala, the Malibu, the
S-10, etc.

About the 2% issue, since many forms of computational systems exist, and
since consumer computers are the largest group, they all have right now
the equivalent of a Volkswagen in postwar Germany.  As one somewhat
famous US Sci-Fi series has made somewhat famous -- Wait for it!!! Or
you could say that Linux is like Postwar Japanese automobiles.  Quality
wins in the end.  And I think that Quality is inherent in Linux,
although it may not show to some folks quite yet, that will be the
ultimate chooser of winners and losers.

Regards,
Les H