Re: Wireless Cards & Drivers

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Graeme Nichols wrote:

I am one of the lucky laptop owners with a wireless network card that
the manufacturers supply a Linux driver for, Ralink Technology.

I don't think this is necessarily very lucky.
In my experience (with an Orinoco USB WiFi dongle)
the driver is almost certain to stop working with later versions of the kernel.

Hi Timothy,

My only experience with a wireless card in Linux is the Ralink Technology card. From experience they are very helpful.

I had upgraded my kernel from the original F9 kernel and the Linux driver for the wireless card I downloaded didn't compile. An email to their support and a new driver was made available within a day. Being new to Linux wireless I wasn't sure how to configure it for my AP. Again they were very helpful pointing out that I needed to use NetworkManager to configure instead of the usual system-config-network app.

They really support their wireless cards for Linux.

--
Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols.
Registered Linux User 381781 (http://counter.li.org/)