Re: Fedora vs RedHat

Matt Domsch wrote:
On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 06:30:45PM -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:
Where are people using fedora?  How many?

Well, it is just a guess, but I would think that most of the people
on this list are using Fedora. (Why else be on the list?) As for how
many? Who know. When you can not even get hard numbers on how many
people are running some Linux distribution, how are you going to
come up with the number of people using Fedora?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics
uses some fairly decent guesses, noting how these statistics may not
be perfect, but they're as close as we have.

May I say that these numbers probably under-report by quite a bit, or at least the number of machines is not the same as the number of downloads. Once I find a comfort level with a release I drop it on 6-8 machines, using the bits I've downloaded. Each upgrade gets pulled once, and is archived from cache to a central location from which all new installs are done (by way of DVD rather than network at times).

On the other hand, there may be a tiny percentage of people who download Fedora and either don't try it or try it and don't use it. I have heard rumors of people like that.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>