Non-kde app launcher in KDE4 F9?

I must have missed something.... I have been trying out KDE4 in a fully
updated F9 system.

I could not find how to set up an icon in the panel to launch an application
that was compiled and stored but not in the list of applications available in
the kickoff menus - it can be run using right click and then
"Run Application" - but is it possible to create an icon to run it directly?
Or is this something that has to wait till 4.2?