Re: CUPS, Alpine, and printserving

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Björn Persson wrote:
> > 1: Check that Cups is actually listening on the network. Run this command
> > as root on the machine where the printer is:
> >
> > netstat --inet --inet6 --listen --program --numeric | grep cupsd
> >
> > Does it say "192.168.x.y:631" or "127.0.0.1:631"?
>
> Isn't it easier just to say
> 	telnet 192.168.a.b 631
> Doesn't this tell you if you are connected to the CUPS server
> much more simply?

That's essentially the same test that Beartooth already did when he
typed "http://192.168.x.y:631/admin"; into Firefox. He was told that the
connection failed. The next step is then to find out *why* the connection
failed. To that end I asked him to check the two reasons I thought were most
likey. By using the netstat command that you quoted we found out that Cups
does indeed listen for requests from other machines, so that reason is now
eliminated.

If we were to suspect that Firefox or Privoxy was misbehaving, then testing
with Telnet instead would be valuable. Since the connection currently fails
for Telnet too, there's no reason to suspect Firefox or Privoxy.

Björn Persson