Re: Problems found in /var/log/messages: gdm related.

Craig White wrote:
On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 18:30 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
Craig White wrote:
On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 18:15 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
Oct 30 16:42:13 bronze gconfd (gdm-15650): Failed to open saved state file: Failed: Failed to open gconfd logfile; won't be able to restore listeners after gconfd shutdown (Permission denied)
----
might be useful to look at output of

rpm -Vq gdm

Craig
# rpm -Vq gdm
S.5....T  c /etc/gdm/custom.conf
.M....G.    /var/log/gdm

I have no idea what it means! ;)
----
might be useful to read the man page for rpm

# cat /etc/gdm/custom.conf
# GDM configuration storage

[xdmcp]

[chooser]

[security]

[debug]

# ls -ld /var/log/gdm
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-09-29 08:05 /var/log/gdm

I honestly don't know what you are doing with the config/permissions and
these are clearly defaults because I use kdm and not gdm.

Craig
FYI: I did consult the man pages after I posted that comment and before
Patrick replied because I really cannot remember off the top of my head
what  the details were.

I can understand what rpm is reporting - and yes, there are differences
and since I am using Gnome, perhaps permissions will be different,
I just don't know yet.

I have another F9 system that does not report the errors in the log
messages and the Gdm files and permissions are exactly the same
between the two systems as far as the gdm log directory and custom
files go.  Perhaps the problem lies elsewhere and we are only seeing
it's symptoms.

As for the difference in custom.conf against custome.conf.rpmnew, it
is simply that I turned on XDMCP so that I can remotely connect to
the system and there is no other additions in that file.

I will however try to see if chmod 755 will work or not.
Will post when I find out more.

Dan