Re: fedora installation

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 11:37 -0400, Jerry Ro wrote:
hello all,

I am interested in installing fedora on a laptop x61t (it is, to the
best of my understanding, a 64bit machine.)

a few questions I have:

* should 60-80 GB be reasonable for full installation of fedora?

The full system itself will use under 10GB. How much else you need
depends on what you're doing with it.

[snip!]

poc
As poc says, it depends on what you want to do with it. For me, all updates
were chosen: games, development, X11, X-window managers, sendmail, dns,
and *many* services and with exception to virtual machines and clustering, plus livna non-free for music/video repos, I total aprox 66GB used space, so for all of my Fedora/Ubuntu systems, I carve out approx, 75-100GB for my root partitions. But this is probably extreme for a normal user. I am sure if I went after all in livna with MythTV and other apps, it would require more space, but then you can get another big drive for that or make sure you get the biggest drive available for your type of system (some laptops may only get one drive unless you plan to carry around
a USB drive) esp. if you want an archive of music/video files.

But your mileage may vary and it depends on what you want. If no X11/gui system
then root filesystem can have a very small footprint.

FWIW,
Dan