Re: Which one is better Ubuntu Or Fedora 9

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 10:20 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 10:13 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:45:18 -0700
> > makhlina@xxxxxxxxx (Alex Makhlin) wrote:

> > Both distros have live media. Why don't you download them and try out
> > each and decide for yourself which one you like?

> Good advice.
Yep.

> I was installing Linux for a friend, and figured I'd give them Ubuntu
> as I it would hopefully be easier for them than Fedora. Tried the
> LiveCD, kept freezing up (requiring hard restarts). Did an install
> figuring I just needed to update to a new kernel, pre and post full
> system update, still kept hard freezing. So I went back to old
> faithful Fedora.

This doesn't mean much. It can be an arbitrary small detail (E.g. a
kernel or a packaging bug on a DVD), which may spoil everything in a
particular scenario, esp. on a machine, which never has seen Linux
before.

I recently tried to install Fedora 9 on a brand new machine and ended up
as you did with Ubuntu. Any attempts to install FC9 failed in very early
stages of installing. I resorted to trying FC10-Beta2, which at least
enabled me to boot and to install. Now, I am experiencing the "fun" of
rawhide ;)

If I were consequent, I would now give Ubuntu or openSUSE a try :)

Ralf