How can I check whether or not a blacklisted device command is causing a problem?

I have a really old bug (163701) for a problem with my DVD/CD burner that
once upon a time used work with Fedora. Then for a while it would only
work after first erasing a CD until the next reboot. Now it no longer
burns CDs at all (but burning DVDs works).
The bug languishes (possiblly because it is hardware dependent and people
don't have that hardware and that isn't likely to change for the better
going forward) and one thing I thought of that might account for the
change in behavior is that wodim issues some commands that are being filtered
by the kernel. There aren't any log messages to that effect in the wodim
output, but I am not sure whether or not there would be.
Depending on the answer to that question, I can try some different things
to try to see if I can get the burner fully working again.