Re: Which one is better Ubuntu Or Fedora 9

Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
Tom Horsley wrote:

Huh? Synaptic is the one reason I might consider switching to ubuntu.
You want to talk deficient and awkward, compare packagekit to synaptic
and decide which is deficient.

I have never had rpm, yum or PackageKit crash on me, but that is a signature trait of Synaptic. It generally crashes about halfway into downloading about 400 MB of updates, messes up the package list of pending updates in the process, and it becomes impossible to resume the update. And add to that, that in getting the 400 MB, you just spent about 2-3 hours waiting and still didn't get the system updates. I speak from experience and have done the procedure more than 2 or 3 times, with the same frustrating result, and not with the same release or installation media.

Can't you still just:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
in a terminal window and save the GUIness for when you want to pick a new package or two?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx