Re: Fedora 9 32 or 64 Bit - Which One?

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
Kevin Kofler wrote:
Kevin J. Cummings <cummings <at> kjchome.homeip.net> writes:
What issues?
Issues, hassles, basically the same. The things that have to be worked around.

My question was: can you please list the actual issues, hassles or however you want to call them? Because most of what you listed is either: * no hassle at all (like a single yum install line will solve your problem) or * not an issue with x86_64: you upgraded from FC6 to F9 at the same time as your 32->64-bit migration. That's a big upgrade, skipping 2 releases even. So saying "this worked better on my old FC6 i386" is completely irrelevant for the question which started this thread, which is "should I go with F9 i386 or F9 x86_64?".

The OP asked for "any and all advice".  Please don't change the subject.

Whoa!  This is getting personal, gang.  Back to your respective corners.

What the op SHOULD have said was "I'm upgrading from F7 to F9.  Should
I go with the 32- or 64-bit version of F9?"  That's really two
questions.  An upgrade from F7 to F9 is going to be one hell of a gear
change in and of itself.  I would have warned him of that first off.
Things are different in F9 land.

Once that's been dispatched, what KK said about the differences between
32- and 64-bit F9 is pretty much true.  90% of the issues the OP had
weren't 32- vs. 64-bit, but rather F7 vs. F9.  I think this all got
rather muddled in the subsequent discussions.

While I tend to agree with KK regarding proprietary vs. free (speech)
software, there are times where you're just farking stuck using the
proprietary stuff.  When there is a choice and the functionality I need
is available in the the free (speech or beer) version, that's what I
use.

Ok, bowing out.  Wait for the bell, touch gloves and swing away.

DING! (running for cover)