Re: File Manager super User gone???

On Sun October 12 2008 9:06:13 pm Rene Cusson wrote:
> Just installed Fedora 9 KDE desktop. Everything was fine
> untill i updated all the packages. Now there is no access to
> file manager super user in the menu area. Is it hiding
> somewhere that i dont know about? How do you become the super
> user when using dolphin? I googled this and others are having
> the same problem, but can't seem to find the answer.
> Not looking for the su in the terminal. Want to be able to
> create folders in root. The create menu is disabled because i
> am not SU.

1) Open your menu and right-click on 'konqbrowser'
2) Select 'Add to desktop' or 'Add to panel'
3) Right-click on your new icon that appears on the desktop or
panel
4) Select 'Icon settings'
5) Switch to the 'Application' tab
6) In the 'Command' field, change the word 'webbrowser' to
'filemanagement'
7) Click on the 'Advanced options' button (just above the
'Cancel' button at bottom right)
8) Tick the 'Run as different user' checkbox
9) Enter 'root' in the user field

Done
You can use a similar technique to create an icon for in your
menus by right-clicking on the menu button and selecting the
menu-editor function

Warning - if you haven't fully updated your system, this icon
would fail to intiate after a single use in any given session, I
believe, because some lock file wasn't being deleted on shutdown.
The cure is to make sure you're updated to the most current
version of KDE that's in updates-testing or kde-redhat
repositories.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA