Re: 54 GB in /var/log!!

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 07:39:01 -0700, Craig White wrote:

>> > ----
>> > from command line, cut down your large log files by locating them...
>> >
>> > # find /var/log -type f -size +2000k -exec ls -lh {} \; | awk '{
>> > print $8 ": " $5 }'
	[...]
> ----
> it's just a simple command to print a list of all log files greater than
> 20 Mb.
>
> If you can't manage to just type it out as it was given, just do 'ls -lh
> /var/log' and you can inspect each file for size. ----

	As you'll've seen by now, I found a typo and got it.

>> > and any file that is really large (i.e. /var/log/Xorg.0.log)
>> >
>> > command line empty it...
>> > # > /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>> >
>> > if startx only works as root, it sounds as if some permission isn't
>> > correct (possibly /etc/X11/xorg.conf is not 644, readable by all
>> > users). Of course if that were the issue, /var/log/Xorg.0.log would
>> > tell you that or if it were some other permissions issue, the problem
>> > would probably be listed in /var/log/messages
>
>> I'm very weak on permissions; I can never remember the mnemonic for
>> those numbers. but I'll try "cd /etc/X11" and then "ls -l" to see if
>> that tells me anything either comprehensible or repeatable.
> ----
> read  = 4
> write = 2
> exec  = 1
>
> rwxrwxrwx
> ^^^^^^^^^
> |  |  |
> |  |  other
> |  group
> owner
>
> thus rwx______ is 700
>      rw_rw_rw_ is 444
>      rw_r__r__ is 644
> ----

	I've re-checked, and I think my monitor newer than any computer
is biting me again. xorg.conf seems not to exist; xorg.conf-bak is -rw-r--
r-- 1

>> > On Fedora 9, it often is enough to just do something like # mv
>> > /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-bak # shutdown now -r
>> >
>> > and it is automatically rebuilt upon reboot
>>
>> 	I tried that, and got only the dread "out of range" message. I'll
>> try again with "system-config-display" and "system-config-display --
>> reconfig" It would be a great help to get X back for my user, if only
>> to enable c&p between the CLI and Pan.

> ----
> seems odd because reports I have heard about Fedora 9 is that it
> automatically builds xorg.conf if not present.
>
> init 3
> log in as root
> system-config-display --reconfig
> init 5
>
> should do the trick though

	The problem is that wide monitors had not yet come on the market
when my newest machine was built. I have an hp w2207h, which is
1680x1050; I can run it usable by setting the hardware to lcd that size,
and then the display to 1280x1024; that lets the monitor stretch it
sidewise. But both system-config-display and system-config-display --
reconfig merely stymie things; I get the out of range message and have to
hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, or else the monitor goes black and stays black.

	I haven't tried init commands lately; but grub may be set to init
3; I've done that before, in order at least to get a prompt.

	I also took a quick look from the CLI at that messages file, and
couldn't spot anything. I'll go do startx as root and try to get a
display that lets me skim enough of them to spot a pattern.

Fedora 7, 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3