Re: 54 GB in /var/log!!

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 17:00:13 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
	[...]
> log files growing at am alarming rate because they are trying to tell
> you something.

	That much was one of my guesses; but I have no idea how to find
out what.
 	[...]
>> 	Obviously, I want to cut /var/log with electronic double-bitted
>> axes in both hands, to get to my user's GUI again; and to find the
>> source of the bloat and correct it.
>>
>> 	What should I do first??
>
> Find the particular log file that oversized.  Look at it and try to
> determine *WHY* it is very large and correct the problem that is causing
> it to grow.

	The first thing I tried was Craig White's suggestion of moving
xorg.conf out of the way and rebooting -- because that might have been
the quickest way back to pursuing this thread on the problem machine. But
it failed; reboot only got me the dread "out of range" message from the
monitor.

	I'll go try his find command next -- which I'd never have guessed
in a thousand years. I'm very glad to have it.

> Do you have logrotate installed?  Is it rotating log files periodically
> in order to keep their size down?

	According to rpm -q, yes, 3.7.6-5; do I need to take some sort of
closer look at it? I did know there was such a thing, and another of my
guesses was that it might be misbehaving; but I have no idea how to check
that.