Re: F9: Manually editing passwd/group files causes rebooting to freeze up after udev....

Dan Thurman wrote:

I was manually changing the /etc/passwd and /etc/group
file since my users were incorrectly assigned UID/GIDs,
I manually corrected the UID/GID in /home for each user,
rebooted and noticed that I would get a hang just after
udev.

I tried ^D and noticed that something complaining
about /var/run/anacron was not removable and that
user anacron did not exist, and the system would then
shutdown and reboot.

On rebooting, I stopped grub and added -s and single
user boot was successful.

In single user, I checked what I could and finding nothing,
and proceeded with ^D and noticed several things:

1) There was a message to the effect that several important
   users (root, anacron, and others) was not able to be retrieved
   from dbus's database.  The message appears too fast for me
   to write it all down exactly.

2) Repeated messages of: "Unknown username "root" in message
    bus configuration file, for each important users.

Is there some way to repair the dbus database?

Thanks!
Dan

I forgot to add:

3) The system fails to start dbus, anacron, and a couple of other
   services but continues on to the text login prompt.  Attempts
   login as root or any normal user will fail.

Dan