Re: VDQ : rhgb, plymouth -- and mkinitrd

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 16:55:19 -0700, Nifty Fedora Mitch wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 05:18:02PM +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>>
>> 	It seems rhgb (which I have always detested, and routinely
>> removed from all machines) is to be replaced by plymouth........
>> 	So in F10B, "yum remove rhgb" turns into a command that removes
>> plymouth -- and takes mkinitrd along with it.
>>
>> 	So do ordinary users need mkinitrd?? Is it OK to let yum go ahead
>> and take it away?
>
> mkinitrd can save yer bacon, I do not understand what links rhgb to it.
> As others have pointed out just comment our the rhgb stuff etc. in
> /boot/grub/grub.conf.

	My bad, most likely; the link is plymouth. As of now, iiuc, rhgb
is already gone from F10, replaced by plymouth; and it's plymouth that's
linked in some way.

	It occurs to me just now to try "yum remove plymouth" and then
"yum install mkinitrd"; I may do that.

> There are references to it in Makefiles for building new kernels.  See
> also /sbin/weak-modules /sbin/installkernel and when and how they might
> uses it.

	The real answer, of course, is the one that Rahul Sundaram
posted; and it mentions that there will be a way to get to grub. In fact,
iiuc, grub *will* appear automatically on machines with multiple hard
drives, on the theory that those of us who have them mostly run more than
one OS. (I certainly do, just because there are a couple things not yet
user-friendly enough in linux, nor completely functional under wine. I've
also been known to try Ubuntu, CentOS, and others.)

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 2, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3