Re: Fedora 9 32 or 64 Bit - Which One?

sean darcy <seandarcy2 <at> gmail.com> writes:
> 64 bit is a minor hassle - flash for instance,

It's what nspluginwrapper is for.
Or you could use gnash or swfdec instead, or just not use Flash at all.
But even the proprietary crap just works if you install nspluginwrapper.i386.

> and screwing around with multilibs.

Only if you need to run legacy 32-bit-only crap. I have F9 x86_64 running with
no 32-bit multilibs at all on my laptop, works just fine!
But "yum install packagename.i386" isn't exactly hard either.

> When I looked, I couldn't find any app I used where 64bit was useful,
> even ffmpeg.

You just haven't noticed the speed difference.

> At the time, though, I could find very little data on this.

On all the benchmarks I've seen, 64-bit is clearly faster.

> IOW, stick with 32bit unless you've got some real 64bit benefit.

"IOW, stick with horse carts unless you've got some real car benefit." :-D

        Kevin Kofler