Re: Wireless communications.

Bill Marcum writes:

Thanks Sam,
I figured it had to be something like that. I checked with Cisco and they have strictly windows drivers for the type of air card that I own. I was hoping that the fedora software would have some software built in but evidently not. Does someone know of a genereric software download I can use for a Cisco Aironet 340 PCI wireless card?

Thanks again Sam.

Again, as I said, post the output of 'lspci -v'. The brand name of you wireless card is completely, and utterly meaningless. Many different brands will often be the same exact wireless chipset underneath, and the same brand may ship with completely different chipset hardware, over time.

Unlike Windows, Linux does not use the "download a driver off the manufacturer's side, and install it" model of hardware support. There are some scattered manufacturers that allegedly offer drivers for download, but those are rarer. You will find that those drivers are for specific versions of Linux with a specific kernel version. Linux drivers must be compiled for each kernel version. Given that most distros issue updated kernels every month or so, you can easily see why the Windows model of driver installation does not work (and there are other reasons as well). With Linux, either the hardware is suppored by the kernel, or it's not.

So, as I said, the only way anyone would be able to help you is if you post the output of 'lspci -v', first. Chances are you only need to set up your firmware files.

Bill

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Bill Marcum writes:

Hi all,
I just started using Fedora / linux and I am having an issue with wireless communication. I installed Fedora 8 on my laptop; I have installed all of the updates available to this point. I am using an old Dell Latitude Laptop with a cisco systems wireless card. It works fine with widows it just doesn't seem to want to connect when I log into Fedora. I am probably missing something but I don't know what it is. The error that I am getting when I try to activate the card is that it is an invalid argument (8b06). One of the things that I am not sure about is how do I choose the type of wireless security I am using? The cables side of the network system works fine.

I am very familiar with wireless communications and I am pretty knowledgeable about the windows software but any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

You probably need to set up the firmware for your wireless card, presuming that your card is supported at all, in Linux.

To determine your wireless hardware, oost the output of 'lspci -v' -- just the part that references your wireless interface.