Re: When will KDE4 get a desktop like in KDE3.x ?

Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 <at> gmail.com> writes:
> When will KDE4 get a desktop like in KDE3.x ?

In KDE 4.2.

KDE 4.2 supports (well, will support, but the prereleases already support it)
setting the folder view applet as the desktop instead of the standard Plasma
desktop, which effectively provides an old-school desktop with files and
shortcuts. The folder view applet in 4.2 has also been enhanced to remember the
position of icons, just like the old KDE 3.5 desktop did.

> Here is a comment from a recent KDE4.2 review:

> The Desktop
> Plasma has most goals listed for inclusion in KDE4.2, followed closely
> by KWin. Currently Plasma behaves somewhat unstable and can crash while
> managing the plasmoids. With the default “plasmoid” desktop setting, we
> can add the plasmoids, but the files/icons are not supported, KDE3’s
> style.
>
> http://polishlinux.org/kde/quick-look-at-kde-42-svn/

You'll notice the review says "With the default “plasmoid” desktop setting".
This implies there's another one. :-) (And that other setting is the
folder-view-as-desktop option I described above.)

        Kevin Kofler