Re: F9: Desktop Effect and Compiz: How to manually disable it? [SOLVED (sort of)]

Dan Thurman wrote:

I have enabled 'Desktop Effects'  (Compiz) and tried it out
and it looks pretty cool.  I was able to logout and log back
in, everything is fine.

Next, I used the Compiz Configuration Tool (cscm), added
a few more "bells and whistles", and I did not get any immediate
changes after closing the cscm dialog window.  But I was curious
about emerald, so I used the command-line command for emerald
and cool - I had emerald window wraps!

Then

I logged off and logged back in - and got the dreaded windows
white screen of death!  Rats.  There was no windows cursors
and nothing seemed to work (mouse clicks and random keystrokes)
until I hit ALT-S - and the mouse cursor popped in - but still, the
screen stayed white.

I hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and the window logged out and the
GUI login screen appeared.

Next, I logged in as a different user that did not have desktop
effects (Compiz) enabled, so everything was fine.

My question is, is there a command-line command or can
I manually disable Desktop-Effects (Compiz) for that user
where it failed (since obviously I cannot use the the user's
desktop window to disable desktop-effects)?  I would like
to restore this user (it is not mine!) to a sane state and try a
temporary user to resolve this problem for later.

I searched everywhere for a solution and even posted
my problem on Compiz's Forum waiting for a resolution,
but I wanted to post this specific request here seeking the
answer to manually disable the desktop-effects.

Thanks!
Dan

I gave up trying to fix it.

I did locate: ~/.gnome2/sessions, deleted this file, and then
had to go back in as this user (the white screen of death went
away), but had to set everything up again which was quicker
than trying to pick through the mess and waste even more time.

FWIW,
Dan