Xen and the Art of Ticking me off.....

Maybe off topic, but I'm sure if this really is an issue for the Xen team yet. I have a F8 xen host that has been running flawlessly for over a year now.

Late last week I setup a new guest OS (F9) and that worked perfectly. It went without a single hitch. Everything worked fine.

Yesterday I deleted the new guest OS I had just built because the software the customer wants to use isn't supported on F9 yet, so I had to blow it away and go with F8 instead.

Now, I did a 'xm delete mtg' to delete the domain (after shutting down) and then went to virt-install to install the new guest.

But instead of getting an install I get this:

Domain installation may not have been successful. If it was, you can restart your domain by running 'virsh start geeks'; otherwise, please
 restart your installation.
Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:12:35 ERROR virDomainLookupByID() failed GET operation failed: xend_get: error from xen daemon:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/virt-install", line 502, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/sbin/virt-install", line 462, in main
    dom = guest.start_install(conscb,progresscb)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 813, in start_install
    return self._do_install(consolecb, meter)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 829, in _do_install
    self._create_devices(meter)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 727, in _create_devices
    nic.setup(self.conn)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 281, in setup
    vm = conn.lookupByID(id)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 920, in lookupByID if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainLookupByID() failed', conn=self) libvirtError: virDomainLookupByID() failed GET operation failed: xend_get: error from xen daemon:

I've googled this and I read where they thought the xend isn't running, but it is, I have 2 other guests still running.

Another suggestion was to shutdown the virbr0 interface and try it, no go. What I don't understand is what the hell happened between Friday and Monday.

Any ideas?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support