From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Craig White
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2008 3:52 PM
To: Community assistance, encouragement,and advice for using Fedora.
Subject: Re: F9: Firefox: Java based site fails to work.

On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 15:19 -0400, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 11:14 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> >> I visited a java-based website and wondering why this
> >> site seems to say that I need to enable Java in order
> >> to use it?
> >>
> >> I checked FF preferences and Java is enabled so that
> >> is not the problem.
> >>
> >> Firefox works fine on a windows platform so perhaps
> >> I actually do not have Java installed on F9?  If so, what
> >> steps do I need to take in order to make it work?
> > ----
> > does it ever occur to you to search ???
> >
> > - the web?
> > - the installation notes?
> > - the fedoraproject wiki?
> > - the list archives?
> > - anywhere?
> >
> > before you ask the list?
>
> Did it ever occur to you to answer the question or keep your mouth shut?
>    Dan, you can check about:plugins to see what you have installed.
> IcedTea/OpenJDK, which is free and in Fedora repositories, will work for
> some sites.  However, others still require the proprietary Sun Java
----
for the record, I have previously suggested to OP that he is repetitive
with this behavior...asking the list before he makes any attempt to find
the answer himself.

also for the record (and I am not the biggest fan of this), the 'Mailing
List Guidelines' linked to at the bottom of each and every e-mail...the
very first paragraph...

Before Posting to the List
There are a number of ways you can find help within your system. If you
don't find the answer there, try to look into the list archives before
posting a question. This is a high volume list and chances are that
someone has already had the same problem you are now trying to fix. See
Useful Resources below for a list of places to try. Refer to this
presentation on mail etiquette that you should follow.

Since the topic of java-plugins for firefox on Fedora 9 has been
discussed at least 5 times on this list (if not 15) since the release of
Fedora 9, since the topic is mentioned in the Fedora 9 release notes and
since the topic is covered on the Fedora Project Wiki, and since the
topic is easily googled, it seemed to me to be a very fair response.

Also FTR, Iced Tea in Fedora 9 is now OpenJDK

Craig