Re: F9: Firefox: Java based site fails to work.

On Saturday 18 October 2008 22:38, Dan Thurman wrote:
> Dan Thurman wrote:
> > I visited a java-based website and wondering why this
> > site seems to say that I need to enable Java in order
> > to use it?
> >
> > I checked FF preferences and Java is enabled so that
> > is not the problem.
> >
> > Firefox works fine on a windows platform so perhaps
> > I actually do not have Java installed on F9?  If so, what
> > steps do I need to take in order to make it work?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Dan
>
> Yeah, encouraging words from "c" but I can handle it! (shaking off the
> dust) ;)
>
> I DID search but could not figure it out.
>
> Now, back to what some have asked:
>
> 1) Try this site: http://www.relaycall.com (it's for deaf people
> who are trying to reach non-deaf people over the phone) and
> it complains (for me) :
> "Error - You must enable Java to use AT&T Relay Services."
>
> 2) about:plugins (Looooong list!)
>
> Note: I do have "all" of GCJ/Iced-Tea modules (or so it seems)
>     File name: gcjwebplugin.so
>     The GCJ Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea) executes Java applets.
>     See below for all the "Yes" for specifics.
>

> GCJ Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea) 1.2
>
>     File name: gcjwebplugin.so
>     The GCJ Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea) executes Java applets.
>
> MIME Type     Description     Suffixes     Enabled
> application/x-java-vm     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-applet     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.1     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.2     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.3     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.4     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.5     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-applet;version=1.6     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.6.0_00     IcedTea     class,jar
>     Yes
> application/x-java-bean     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-bean;version=1.1     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2     IcedTea     class,jar     Yes
> [...]

Hi Dan. According to Firefox on F9 using GCJ aka Iced Tea, when accessing the
site above, I get a bit of stuff for at&t at the top of the page, but no
applet. At the bottom of the Firefox window it says: Start: applet not
initialized.

By contrast, Firefox on my FC2 install, with Sun's JRE installed, runs the
applet with no problemo.

All I can suggest is downloading, and installing the JRE from Sun, if you want
to use this site. See below.

More direct link for Java for Linux (JRE only)
 http://www.java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp

Nigel.