Re: Beeping while running

Peter Larsen wrote:
On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 11:37 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
Konstantin Svist wrote:
Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
Recently, one of my machines (running F8) has started beeping and I
can't figure out the reason why.  After watching it this morning, I've
noticed that every 30 minutes it seems to beep 20 times.  It almost
sounds like a BIOS beep, but the machine has 177 days of uptime (and
counting).  So, I'm wondering, what will cause 20 short beeps?  My
wife describes it as almost sounding like a flute.  I figure its got
to be a warning of some kind.  The motherboard is an ABit NF7-S2 with
an AMD XP 2600+ CPU and 1.5GB of RAM (3 512MB sticks).

apcupsd says that my battery is still good (100% charged, 32 minutes est runtime) and the last "event" was on 10/13 (Low Line Voltage).

I just checked, and the sound is being output through my computer's sound card's speakers, though that motherboard has integrated audio and I think it is set up to do "pc speaker" through the computer's external speakers.

If you run acpi, you can check temperature and fan speeds etc. It sounds
like your Bios may be warning you of over heating or something.

I checked my temps, CPU=37c case=30c. Case is in the blue, CPU is only half red. My disk drives are at 42c (1/2 red as well) and they have a fan blowing over them.

If you're running software or hardware raid it may also be a symptom of
a bad/degraded RAID system.

Nope, no RAID.

Basically, do a full system check.

I blew all of the dust out of the cabinet, out of the fans, out of the power supply (and there was quite a bit of dust!). Also, the cabinet side is open so its not baking in there. Temps look OK to me, airflow should be free. Room temp is about 20c.

I'm not sure where else to look.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx