Re: X display sharing fails (xauth)

Joe Smith wrote:
I often need to test gui applications under a different login, so I can easily wipe out .dotfiles and run with a known environment. I've had this working since F8 with an xauth entry that allowed the other user access to my display. All I needed was a terminal window logged in as the other user, and I could run apps that needed access to the X display.

A couple of days ago, this stopped working. Now, as the test user, I get

$ firefox
No protocol specified
Error: cannot open display: :0.0

and from my normal desktop login, I get

$ xauth list
xauth: error in locking authority file /var/run/gdm/auth-cookie-XXGB42IU-for-jes

I can use "xhost +" but I'd prefer to be a little more specific, even though I'm the only user.

Switching users through the panel "User Switcher" is not convenient: I have to enter a password every time I switch users and I can't run things side by side on the same display. I don't really need full console access, just the display.

Any ideas what broke, or suggestions for getting my old configuration working again?

Several thoughts... first, since you don't tell us what you meant by "an xauth entry that allowed the other user access to my display," no one will see anything there. Second, did you do anything with networking and/or DNS which could have confused the issue? That includes installing "upgrades," which has been known to close security holes by making the whole method stop working.

And finally, why not just ssh to the other user with X forwarding?
	ssh -X user2@localhost
would let user2 run X apps without xhost configuration.

Maybe some of that will help.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>