Re: ps2 mouse pointer wanders away

Tying up some loose threads as I have time --

On Aug 16, 2008, at 8:15 AM, Joel Rees wrote:

Ed Greshko wrote:

Joel Rees wrote:

I find that I often lose control of the mouse pointer. It seems to happen more when I'm seeding torrents, or running a diff or a message digest check on the download, or doing other things that load the system.

And it just got worse, both in Fedora 7 and Fedora 9.

Sempron 2600, single processor, VIA KM400something+8237 chipset, 760M RAM. Generic PS-2 mouse and keyboard.

I can plug in a USB mouse and use that, and sometimes plugging the USB mouse in brings the PS2 mouse back, as well.

In your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file what is mouse protocol set to?

No mouse definition in that file whatsoever.

[...]

I've seen what I think you are describing when set to infrequently seen/used setting. FWIW, the one I use most often is...
    Option         "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Thanks for reminding me where that file is. I found an example of the mouse definition section on the web, but the problem now is getting the box back on the web first.

Oh, yeah, checking the box and letting the gui network manager or whatever it was manage the network was something I mentioned finding in another thread, and probably my fat fingers while I was dozing at the keyboard were the culprit.

The out-of-control mouse was just a bad mouse. A little high-tech wire-wiggling with a multimeter, then 5 cm. clipped off the end of the wire, re-soldered, and it works fine. Flaking out with Fedora 9 appears to have been just a coincidence, or maybe some timing thing in nine made it more sensitive there first.

More noise, my apologies.

Joel Rees