Auto Log in screen

In older versions of Fedora, there is a GDM tool that lets you set up so that when the computer starts and gets to the log on screen it automatically chooses the user, puts in the password and then runs.

The problem is, GDM-setup no longer is there. Was this replaced with something else? Was this left off of Fedora 9 for a reason?

I need this function as our AC power here isn't always the best. Sometimes we loose power and this always happens at the most inopportune moments. It happens typically once per month. I have the PC set up so it restarts when power is restored. But, now the PC isn't able to log in automatically. I need this function because I run a program (xastir) that connects via a radio and TNC (terminal node controller) for amateur radio operators so that they can be tracked using APRS on the internet. My station is one of several thousand others throughout the world that ports the licensed user to the internet. The program requires that I be logged on and it be running to function.

If there is no workaround for version 9, what are the chances this will be restored in version 10?

To see what I am talking about, you can go to www.findu.com and enter my call WM5Z-1 or to see the weather use WM5Z-15.

--
Steve Friis
Amateur Call WM5Z