Re: kernel development approach for fedora

Mail Lists wrote:
   Linus switched kernel development away from large releases (odd/even
major numbers) with infrequent release cycles and instead switched to
something more continuous - essentially small  rapid changes and
frequent snapshots to stable.

   Would the kernel release style be suited to fedora - for much the
same reasons possibly. They seem to manage getting big changes in there
too. And it would be in spirit with the bleeding edge of we desire in
fedora.

   This mode would be basically always updating and never/seldom
installing .. perhaps by some measure the rawhide to stable is similar
.. but there are definite differences. As rawhide is not merged into
stable ..so our current method seems to resemble the older kernel
development approach.

The current path is from rawhide to updates-testing to updates. You can pick the balance of latest features to stability which suits your needs. If I had any suggestions at all on that model, it would be that the barrier between updates-testing and updates could be a bit higher.

In the human interface, I would like a button for "uncheck all selections, I'll pick what I want to install." That and a better way to review just a single category, like security or bug fixes, and skip the enhancements. I seldom upgrade anything unless it's broken, or has a new feature I *really* want. ;-)

   Curious what others think

I think the process works very well, in general, and while the changes I noted above would make it work even better for me, they definitely are only suggestions, and fall in the "what others think" category.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>