Re: Fedora-10 does not like me

CC'd to fedora-test-list@xxxxxxxxxx so you can get more input :)

--- On Sat, 10/11/08, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Fedora-10 does not like me
> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Saturday, October 11, 2008, 5:47 AM
> I've had rather disappointing experiences with F-10
> beta.
> I tried to install on the hard disk of a Thinkpad T43,
> but the mouse/pointer was not visible.
> Installation in text mode crashed after installing all the
> packages.
>
> I tried the KDE Live CD in a couple of very different
> computers,
> but neither was stable.
> In both cases the problem seemed to lie with X.
X has been updated, can you attempt a network install or try to rescue the installed system which crashed towards the end?

> I don't particularly mind - I'm happy to wait for
> the real article.
> But I wondered if my experience is typical?
Typical, not everyone succeeds, that is why it is a beta.  The issues which you encountered should be reported so that they can get fixed with the specs of the machine.  Someone else might have your problem and also has reported it?  Don't know in your case.

> One tentative conclusion I have come to
> is that Anaconda is becoming much too complicated.
> I wonder if a two-tier system would not be better,
> where a basic Linux system is set up in phase one,
> and all the goodies added in phase two.
Well I can say that I partially agree with you, but I still found a way to install it on a dead NTFS partition where windows resided.  I deleted the partition with Gparted Live CD and tried to install Fedora 10 Beta with ext4/ext4dev filessytem(to test it out), I had a hard time installing it, but after several tries I succeeded :)  I was running KDE and CPU was hovering due to an update, I reported to test-list and quickly Kevin sent in the packages that fixed it and today they were released in rawhide report-20081011.

> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
> s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2,
> Ireland
>
> --

I don't know why, but packages break here and there, but most of them get fixed and mostly everything is getting better and better.  Just like with everything some things are getting harder and harder, but I will concentrate on the positives.

Regards,

Antonio